Bat week is Oct. 24 -31 - Learn about bats and caves in Maryland
October 24, 2016
Bat Week is an annual, international celebration of the role of bats in nature. Bat Week is organized by a team of representatives from across the United States and Canada from conservation organizations and government departments.
MGS is excited to promote two items sure to bring happiness to those with an interest in the caves, and cave dwellers, of Maryland.
- A Project EduBat trunk is available for loan from Maryland Geological Survey in Baltimore! This trunk has been slightly modified to represent local bat species and will serve as a prototype for future bat education trunks in Maryland. At this time, the MGS building in Baltimore is the only location for our bat trunk, but we hope to include more trunks in our other locations in the future. If you cannot borrow the trunk but want to check out some bat education lesson plans, then please visit the Project EduBat page here: http://batslive.pwnet.org/edubat/curriculum.php
- Caves of Maryland (MGS Educational Series No. 3) is now available for download from the MGS website! This has always been one of Maryland Geological Survey’s most popular publications. Although ES 3 has been out of print for a number of years it is often requested. This reissue is not an exact replica of the original publication, although the original information and illustrations have not been changed.
More Information and Downloads
For more information about Bats see:
For more information about Caves in Maryland see:
- Caves of Mayland (MGS Educational Series No. 3)
- Caves in Maryland webpage
- A Gallery of Maryland Caves
- Caving Resources
- "Outdoors Maryland" video featuring Western Maryland cave exploration produced by Maryland Public Television
For more information about the Project EduBat Trunk see: